Category: Community

Old Drum Coffeehouse has new owner

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The Old Drum Coffeehouse and Bakery held a celebration ceremony for the transferring of owners Friday, September 29. The coffeehouse and bakery was founded by Beth Weigand Cost in 2012, and she decided to pass down the tradition after five years. “I started this bakery with my grandmother’s rolling pan. I have… Read more »

First Fridays Art Walk returns this weekend

The First Fridays Art Walk returns this weekend at 6 p.m., Friday, Oct. 6 in downtown Warrensburg, with more than 50 local artist and musician participants at 16 venues. Fall tends to bring many people downtown with events such as Burgfest, Concerts in the Courthouse, and more, and organizer Jay Linhardt said the trend of… Read more »

UCM Literary Team school visits to get underway

Student athletes from UCM will make their annual visits to Warrensburg elementary schools during the next few weeks, promoting the importance of reading skills to young students. The Mules and Jennies Literacy Team will open the four school tour Thursday, Sept. 28 at Martin Warren Elementary School. Other visits are scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 3… Read more »

Burg Fest brings the community together

VIDEO BY KAITLIN BROTHERS / MULTIMEDIA EDITOR (WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The fifth annual BurgFest street festival brought people from all over the community to downtown Warrensburg Friday and Saturday for food, music, bouncy houses and street vendors. Amber Bradbury, Warrensburg Main Street events coordinator, said BurgFest had 76 vendors ranging from commercial, food and makers. Related events included the… Read more »

School district looks to increase free, reduced meal applications

Applications are down for the free and reduced price meal program in the Warrensburg R-VI District. The problem is there are some 2,300 students who qualify. “Our free and reduced percentage actually keeps going down every year, so that’s not good for us funding-wise, programming-wise,” said Heather Wirsig, the district’s food services director. “I guess… Read more »

Litter… Has layers

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – I’m frustrated about what I perceive as an issue with litter and trash in Warrensburg. I’ve explained what I’ve seen, how much I’ve seen, and I don’t think I’m without a case. Until last week, that’s all I had: my own observations and the statistics I was able to obtain just by… Read more »

R-VI District serves 21,000 meals over summer

The Food Services director for the Warrensburg R-VI School District is scheduled to present an overview of the district’s summer feeding program and an update of its free- and reduced-lunch program during Tuesday’s Board of Education meeting. The district provided more than 21,000 meals during the summer, according to district information. Heather Wirsig is scheduled… Read more »

iCentral: Get the Red Out

VIDEO BY KAITLIN BROTHERS / MULTIMEDIA EDITOR (WARRENSBURG, Mo.) –Thursday, Aug. 31, Get the Red Out celebrated the first UCM football game with booths, inflatables, food, music and more. I asked students why they’re excited about the first game, and if they think the Mules will take home the win. Check out last week’s episode… Read more »